About Mobile Robotics
Mobile Robots play an increasing role in our lives and places of work in areas as diverse as manufacturing, agriculture, aerospace, mining, medicine and healthcare. Creation of mobile robots begins with the design and then creation of a prototype which must be programmed and tested to make sure it offers a high and consistent level of performance. The mobile robotics engineers must be familiar with logic, micro-electronics, sensors and actuators, embedded computing, and computer programming; and be able to prepare specifications for the robot's capabilities as they relate to the work environment. They are also responsible for cost efficient design, cost-price calculations, and quality control.
The ChallengeCompetitors are required to:
- Possess the requisite skills and knowledge in typical programming interface on Windows operating system and assembly and integration of mechanical (e.g. handling units) and electrical components (e.g. sensors) typical to a mobile robotic system
- Assemble their own robot using at least the following from 2018 and/or 2019 WorldSkills Mobile Robotics collection for the competition:
- a) Motors
- b) Motor driver
- c) MyRIO controller
- d) Battery
- e) Camera
- Customized mechanical parts are allowed for the robot construction.
- Additional add-on active (powered) items to be limited to a total amount of S$1000 and with each individual item not exceeding S$400. Used item would be based on its original purchased price.
- For Scope of Competition, click here.
- For Technical Description, click here.
Dr Marcelo Ang
Department of Mechanical Engineering
National University of Singapore
Deputy Chief Expert
Mr Pom Yuan Lam
Ms Tan Poh Kim
Foundation & General Studies Department
Mr See Toh Kok Hwee
School of Engineering