About Water Technology
Water supply engineering technicians ensure that enough drinkable water is available every day. Drinkable water is our most precious food, which needs special protection. Before water can get processed to become drinkable water, it needs to be extracted. From wells or springs, for example. After its treatment in filter systems, it gets stored and distributed. These are all steps, which water supply engineering technicians take care of.
They inspect water samples, supervise filter systems, process pipes out of metal or plastic and maintain and repair pipes or small electric devices. They work at waterworks or pipe networks and complete their tasks oftentimes in teams under the management of a master craftsman or foreman.
The ChallengeCompetitors are required to:
- Analyse water quality, e.g., phosphate and nitrogen
- Determine optimum coagulant requirement by jar test for water treatment
- Analyze alkalinity of water
- Analyze P&IDs / PFDs and explains its operation philosophy. Dismantle, identify the faults and replace faulty parts of a valve and/or a pump.
- Connect pipe/tube, pressure sensors, level sensors and flowmeter for water system and perform the assigned task/ analysis.
- Identify abnormalities of a water/wastewater treatment plant operation using virtual reality (VR). This task will be arranged depending on the availability of VR device.
- Write report and/or emergency report on water/wastewater plant operation and maintenance
- For Scope of Competition, click here.
- For Technical Description, click here.
Dr Chow Qin Wei
Water Supply (Plants) Department
Public Utilities Board
Deputy Chief Expert
Mr Lee Tze Kang
Novexx Pte Ltd
Mr Soon Zhengyong Eric
Deputy Course Chair
School of Life Sciences and Chemical Technology
Ngee Ann Polytechnic