About Chemical Lab Technology
Much of the food and medicines we produce everyday has in some sort of way come into contact with a wide variety of chemicals such as the pesticides farmers spray on their crops to pharmaceuticals being entirely synthetically composed. Even the water we drink has been treated and chemicals removed and added. To ensure the safety of everyone, we need to test all these products that the amount of harmful chemicals are below the minimum allowable levels e.g. pesticides and in other times that the amount of needed chemicals are at their stated levels as per the packaging label e.g. vitamins in infant formula milk. As such, many laboratories both from the manufacturers as well as the government who regulate employ chemists to perform these analyses. The chemist will work in an analytical laboratory equipped with the latest equipment and technology to determine the chemical composition of any product we consume. The chemist will work either in a QC setting such as a food manufacturer or a water treatment plant or in a R&D setting such as pharmaceutical company trying to develop a new drug.
The ChallengeCompetitors are required to:
- Be appropriately attired with fitting clothes and toe covered shoes
- Possess working knowledge in the areas of:
- Chemical analysis; qualitative and quantitative
- Chromatographic purification and extraction processes
- Organic synthesis reactions
- Concentration calculations
- Possess hands-on skills for analytical techniques like thin layer chromatography (TLC), high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC), ultraviolet and visible spectrophotometry (UV-VIS) and Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy (FTIR).
- Set up and operate the apparatus for rotary vacuum evaporation, vacuum distillation, steam evaporation, filtration and titration.
- Keep proper records of experimental data.
- Dispose chemical waste appropriately.
Chief ExpertDr Benny Tong Meng Kiat
Senior Analytical Scientist, Chemical Metrology Laboratory, Applied Science Group
Deputy Chief ExpertChia Mui Ping
Elemental Scientific Instruments Singapore Pte Ltd
School of Applied Science
Ex-OfficioDr Ho Peng Ching
Assistant Director, Academic Programmes
School of Engineering