About Cyber Security
Information security analysts work to protect an organization’s computer systems networks, to prevent hackers from accessing and/or stealing sensitive information and data. They are often employed by IT service providers, banking and financial services, government agencies and healthcare companies. The job of information security analysts typically involves installing firewalls and data encryption software to protect confidential information. They monitor their organization’s network for security breaches and investigate a violation when one occurs. Information security analysts are also often involved in designing and executing their organization’s disaster recovery plan, which describes the steps and procedures to restore proper function of an organization’s IT systems and networks after an attack. Information security analysts must keep themselves up-to-date to stay one step ahead of potential cyber-attackers. They need to keep abreast of the latest methods attackers are using to infiltrate computer systems, as well as new security technologies that can help their companies counter these threats. The recent years have witnessed an explosive growth of online business transactions, as well as rapid adoption of Internet of Things (IoT) and cloud computing. Coupled with security threats that continue to grow in complexity and frequency, cyber security professionals are now in great demand globally.
The ChallengeCompetitors are required to:
- Provision and configure secure Web and FTP services in Windows and Linux system
- Operate and maintain server equipment in designated competition scenario setup
- Identify, audit, modify or devise policies and plans to support cyber security processes
- Perform IT infrastructure strengthening and hardening; such as,
- Identify network/host vulnerabilities
- Identify, escalate/mitigate threat in a SOC environment
- Design router ACLs
- Perform system policy hardening
- Set up and/or write firewall rules
- Update IPS/IDS signatures
- Conduct application security tests
- Setup and test VPN
- Perform penetration test of target systems with toolsets available
- Social engineering
- Security Auditing
- Perform Threat and Exploitation Analysis of given logs and/or audit trails
- Perform Cybersecurity Incident response and Digital Forensic Investigations.
- For Scope of Competition, click here.
- For Technical Description, click here.
Mr John Lim
(serving in personal capacity)
Deputy Chief Expert
Mr Dutch Ng
i-Sprint Innovations Pte Ltd
Mr Wong Seng Khin Percy
Senior Lecturer / Capability Development
School of Informatics & IT
Dr Ho Peng Ching
Academic Programmes, School of Engineering